Ground Water Protection and Well Permits




Water Well Permit Requirements

Approved Sealing Materials for Water Well Seals




Click for meeting information on JULY 30, 2014

Click for FAQ sheet


Ground Water Protection & Well Permits

Clean water is necessary for good health. We use water for drinking, bathing, and cooking. Since water is used for many different domestic, agricultural, and industrial purposes, contamination is always occurring. Environmental Health is one agency responsible for preventing contamination activities that pollute the ground water resources of Yolo County. Environmental Health inspects small public water supplies for defects that could contaminate water used by consumers. Water quality provided by small public water systems is monitored to detect the presence of harmful contamination. Environmental Health also issues permits and inspects the construction and destruction of wells. 


 Quick Links

Back to
Environmental Health Services


Contact Us

Yolo County Environmental
Health Department
137 N. Cottonwood St. Suite 2400
Woodland, CA 95695

Phone: (530) 666-8646
Fax: (530) 669-1448

Environmental Health Services





Well Permits

A permit is required for the installation, modification, or abandonment of water wells, test holes, cathodic protection wells, geothermal heat exchange wells, and monitoring wells. 

Well Permit Application
Plot Map

Water Well Surface Construction Requirements

Well Owner Acknowledgement Form



 Information for Well Owners

Frequently Asked Questions

What Do I Do With An Old Unused Well On My Property?

Cover the well with a watertight, bolted-on cover. This will prevent contamination from polluting the ground water and prevent any child from becoming injured from it. A well designated as an abandoned well must be destroyed. 

Can I Destroy My Own Well?

The owner of the well can obtain the permit to destroy or drill a well, but a C-57 State licensed well contractor must do the abandonment. Well Abandonment Procedures Handout

Who Works On Wells?

Licensed well contractors with a valid C-57 are qualified to drill and destroy wells. See our Contractors List for a listing of contractors known to do business in Yolo County.

Can You Test My Drinking Water Well For Agricultural Chemicals?

The Health Department cannot test for agricultural chemicals or other organic chemicals. Consult an Environmental Health Specialist for chemicals that may be found in the ground water of your area, then contact a state certified drinking water lab for analysis. The Health Department can test for coliform bacteria and nitrates. Contact Us for more information on water testing, or to arrange to have us test your water for Coliform bacteria or nitrates. For information about the Coliform test: what it is, how to get it, what it means, and what to do if the test is positive, see our Coliform Testing Questions and Answers Page.

How Long is My Well Permit Good For?

Yolo County Code section 6-8.804 (b) states that well permits expire and become null and void if the work is not commenced within 120 days (4 months) after the date of permit issuance or if the work is suspended or abandoned for a period of 120 days any time after the work is commenced.

Due to the construction time being unpredictable and the County Code being too restrictive, Yolo County Environmental Health has developed the following policy regarding well permit expiration:

A permit shall be considered valid for 180 days (6 months)
After permit expiration, if work is resumed within 1 year of issuance a fee of ½ the current full permit fee shall be charged for permit renewal provided that no changes have been made or will be made to the original plans and specifications for such work.
If 1 year has passed since the date of issuance, the permit is considered expired and a full permit fee and re-submittal shall be required.