A-Z Waste Acceptability


* HHW Collection open to Yolo County residents only



      HHW Flyer (PDF)             Fee Schedule (PDF)        HHW Business Flyer (PDF)





Accepted Every Day aT the
Yolo County Central Landfill

 Other options for disposaL / Recycling
Aerosol cans (empty)


see DTSC guidelines at 
Empty Aerosols (PDF)
Aerosol cans (full) NO *accepted at HHW Events
Ag Irrigation Drip Tape
Accepted daily, must be bound, bundled,
or coiled with drip tape or twine.
(Mulch film plastic, drip loosely packed or bundled with tape or metal baling wire will only be accepted for disposal and applicable disposal fees will apply.)

Agricultural containers
(plastics are free of charge; however
there is a fee for
metal containers)

Containers larger than
55 gallons require written approval for
acceptance. Call the landfill for more information.
YES – must be certified triple rinsed (contact Yolo County Ag Dept.), dry, non-refillable, HDPE plastic crop protection and other EPA registered pesticide product containers from agricultural and professional end users. They must not be from home, garden, antimicrobial products, veterinary products or other noncommercial uses. No pesticide or other crop protection containers that were never filled, filled and never distributed or were subject of a recall. Remove any label booklets plastic sleeves, paper, metal, caps, lids, bungs and the majority of foil from spout. Appointments for inspection can be made by contacting the Yolo County Ag Dept. (530) 666-8140
Fumi-Cel pesticide packs YES - Bags/packs must be wetted, dewatered, and inspected. Packs must be accompanied by a Yolo County Ag Dept Inspection form to be considered safe for disposal.
Standard disposal fees apply. 
Appointments for inspection can be made by contacting the Yolo County Ag Dept.
(530) 666-8140

Aluminum cans

(see mixed recyclables)
Air conditioners YES
Antifreeze NO *accepted at HHW Events
(friable or non-friable)
NO *accepted at HHW Events, must be wetted, double bagged, securely sealed, and labeled to be accepted at the HHW events or customers may contact Class II Landfills for disposal options.
Asphalt YES
Batteries, automotive, motorcycle YES - FREE RECYCLING
Batteries, household non-rechargeable alkaline, button batteries from watches, etc. YES - FREE RECYCLING
(Yolo County Residents only)

Batteries, household rechargeable nickel cadmium Ni-Cd, Nickel Metal Hydride Ni-MH, Lithium Ion (Li-ion) and small sealed lead acid YES - FREE RECYCLING 
(Yolo County Residents only)

Brake fluid (see hydraulic fluid)
Construction & Demolition Debris Brochure (PDF)
YES - Currently mixed C&D is recycled.  Source separated wood, metal and concrete can also be accepted for recycling.  All charges per fee schedule.
corrugated cardboard, shipping boxes, no waxed cardboard, no cereal cartons, no egg cartons, no paper grocery bags, no packing materials.

Carpet YES
Cartons, empty
(milk, juice, soy, etc.)
YES - accepted for disposal only
Chemicals, toxics NO *accepted at HHW Events
Christmas trees YES - must have no ornaments, flocking, tinsel, garland, lights
and the stand must be removed in order to be recycled otherwise it will be landfilled as garbage

Cooking oil and grease YES - accepted as trash if solidified in absorbent or kitty litter *accepted in liquid form at HHW Events - OR 
contact a rendering plant for recycling options
Concrete YES
Cosmetics     NO - Chemical hair treatments (coloring, permanents, etc) aerosol sprays, nail polish and remover     *accepted at HHW Events
Creosote treated wood (PDF) YES - Limited acceptability,
small lengths 5' or less
Large quantities - contact
Recology Hay Road Landfill (800) 208-2370
(fire extinguishers and propane tanks up to
23.6 gallons (20#-100#)
NO *accepted at HHW Events
(specific types only)
YES - ONLY small helium balloon party tanks, air compressors, water heater expansion tanks, or water tanks

Dead animals
NO - Livestock, wild game, or large household pet, either whole or in pieces, which would have constituted a whole animal NO - Contact animal services, veterinarians, dead animal haulers or rendering plants for disposal information
Dead animals        
YES - de minimis residential amount including small family pet such as a bird, rodent, reptile or fish is permitted and must be securely bagged in plastic NO - same as above
Dead animal parts
YES - Butchering by products, spoiled food, and animal parts that do not constitute a whole animal. NO - same as above
Developer NO *accepted at HHW Events
Dirt (see soil)
Dishwashers YES
Drums (empty) YES - must be open for inspection; lids off or if there are only bung openings, they must be cut in half
Dryers YES
Electronic waste
computer monitors, laptops, televisions, and/or DVD players containing cathode ray tubes (CRT), liquid crystal display (LCD), plasma screens
These items are covered by the Electronic Waste Recycling Act

Electronic waste (misc.)
printers, keyboards, audio equipment, countertop appliances, vacuum cleaners, handheld electronics,
i-phones, cell phones, GPS systems, video cameras and camcorders

remove all ink, toner, batteries

 [Light fixtures clearly marked
are also accepted free of charge as part of the electronic waste recycling program.]

Electronic waste
YES - Safe for disposal if empty  *must be brought to
HHW Event if full or still contains ink
Explosives, ammunition,
bullets, etc.,
NO NO - Contact your local law enforcement agency for details on proper disposal
Fire extinguishers (see cylinders)
Flares, emergency road flares NO *accepted at HHW Events
Fluorescent Tubes & Bulbs (commercial) NO *accepted at HHW Events
Must call for an appointment
(800) 207-8222

Fluorescent Tubes & Bulbs (residential)

YES  (Yolo County Residents only)

Freezers YES
Furnaces YES
Furniture (sofas, mattresses, large chairs) YES
Gasoline     NO *accepted at HHW Events
Glass beverage containers (see mixed recyclables)
Gravel YES
Green waste
-See restrictions: 
 Sudden Oak Death
 Light Brown Apple Moth
 LBAM Quarantine Facts

YES - leaves, grass, branches, brush, tree rounds not to exceed 12" in diameter and 12" in length
NO PALM FRONDS (disposal only)

(Commercial haulers and Landscapers must sign
a Compliance Agreement to haul and dispose of restricted green waste)

Hazardous waste (residential) NO *accepted at HHW Events
Hazardous waste (business) NO *accepted at HHW Events
Must call for an appointment
(800) 207-8222
Helium 5-gallon tanks (see cylinders)
Herbicides, pesticides NO *accepted at HHW Events
Hydraulic fluid (brake) NO *accepted at HHW Events
Hydraulic oil YES - FREE RECYCLING
Infectious waste NO NO - Contact Yolo County Environmental Health for proper disposal
Ink/toner (see Electronic Waste)
Lawn Mowers     YES - All oil and gasoline must be drained or removed first.
Light ballasts 
* please read both
YES/NO conditions at right to determine acceptability  

*YES - If bulbs are removed (ex. HID bulbs, fluorescent bulbs, etc) and Capacitor/Transformer is removed the light fixture itself is accepted free of charge as metals recycling. Capacitors and ballasts clearly marked "No-PCBs" can be accepted free of charge as E-waste.

*NO - Ballasts and Capacitors (unlabeled or containing PCBs) accepted at HHW events only.
Light Bulbs 
(incandescent, halogen, & *non-mercury 
containing bulbs)  

YES - Safe for disposal in regular trash container. 
*For mercury containing bulbs, see Fluorescent Tubes/Bulbs above.

Liquid waste (PDF) YES - call the landfill prior to hauling for acceptance criteria
Medical waste (sharps, including needles, lancets, test strips, etc)

Effective 9/1/08 "SHARPS" will not be accepted for disposal at the landfill.   

*accepted at HHW Events

Medical waste
NO - Do not flush pharmaceuticals down drains *accepted at HHW Events
Contact your pharmacist or doctor to see if they offer disposal options
Controlled substances not accepted. Bring to local police station.
Medical waste (treated) *YES - call the landfill for approval information
Medical waste (untreated) NO NO - Contact Yolo County Environmental Health for proper disposal
Mercury (thermometers, switches, medical dilators, medical weighted tubing, blood pressure meters, dental amalgam, pressure gauge, vacuum gauge, novelties including flashing athletic shoes, shoes, jewelry, singing greeting cards, etc.) NO *accepted at HHW Events

Mercury thermostats
(wall mounted only)  

YES - FREE RECYCLING  Mercury Thermostat Collection Act  (PDF)
Metal scrap YES

Mixed Recyclables (plastic,   glass containers, aluminum cans, tin cans, clean foil & trays, aseptic, juice box type containers )

Must be rinsed, discard plastic lids & caps, no plastic bags or film wrap

 #1, #2, #5, and #7 okay

* Mixed Recyclable


     #6 - Styrofoam trays &

         carry out containers

     #4 - film plastics such

          as bags/plastic wrap

     #3 - PVC pipe


mirrors, window glass

and light bulbs


15 gallon limit - Motor oil , transmission fluid, hydraulic fluid, kerosene, differential fluid, diesel fuel and diesel oil (5-gallon or less sized containers required to reduce spillage when pouring oil into tank)
NO CHLORINATED SOLVENTS/FLUIDS (ie brake cleaner, power steering fluid), Brake fluids, Transformer fluids
Ovens YES
Paint (latex and
acrylic water based)

YES -  Must be sealed with no  leaks, must have original label and be easily identifiable as latex paint

Unlabeled, unreadable, or corroded containers *accepted at HHW Events
Paint (oil based)
  *accepted at HHW Events
Must call for an appointment
(800) 207-8222
Paint (oil based)
YES -   Must be sealed with no leaks, have original label, and be easily identifiable as oil based paint Unlabeled, unreadable, or corroded containers *accepted at HHW Events
Paint (dried paint cans) YES
Pallets YES
Paper (mixed)

YES - FREE RECYCLING of junk mail,
grocery bags, phone books, white paper, colored paper, magazines, envelopes, paper bags, and paper egg cartons

PCB-containing materials
(capacitors, ballasts,
electrical transformers, transformer components)

[Light ballasts clearly marked
 are accepted free of charge as part of the electronic waste recycling program.]

*accepted at HHW Events
PCP treated wood (PDF), pressure treated wood YES - Limited acceptability,
small lengths 5' or less,
Large quantities - contact 
Recology Hay Road Landfill (800) 208-2370
Pesticide containers plastic (see agricultural plastics)
Pesticide containers (metal) (see agricultural plastics)
Pesticide containers
(fumi-cel packs) 
(see agricultural plastics)
Plastic beverage containers (see mixed recyclables)
Plastic carry-out bags YES - for disposal only Recycling drop-off bins located at supermarkets and large retail stores
Plastic lumber YES - for disposal only
Plastic, Rigid Plastics (toys, buckets, bins, flower pots, ice chests, lawn furniture, etc.) YES - FREE RECYCLING

Poisons NO *accepted at HHW Events
Pool chemicals NO *accepted at HHW Events
Propane tanks up to
23.6 gallons (20#-100#)
(see cylinders)
(commercial pipe ONLY)
Free recycling MAY be available with prior approval, otherwise for disposal
decommissioned materials
NO NO - Contact Yolo County Environmental Health for proper disposal
Railroad ties (PDF) YES - Limited acceptability,
small lengths 5' or less,
Large quantities - contact
Recology Hay Road Landfill (800) 208-2370
Refrigerators YES - Must be empty of food, doors must either be removed or laid door-side down when dropped off
Roofing tiles (PDF)

YES - for disposal only

Septic waste (PDF) YES - call the landfill prior to hauling for acceptance criteria
Sharps (see Medical Waste)
Smoke detectors, household YES - residents are encouraged to return them to the manufacturer for disposal due to certain smoke detectors containing small amounts of radioactive material.  At this time, the County can accept them from residents since they are exempt from the regulations prohibiting disposal. Please pull out and recycle the battery.
Soda Ash NO *accepted at HHW Events
Soil (PDF) YES - call the landfill prior to hauling for approval information  
Solar Panels

NO - High levels of lead and cadmium prohibit landfill disposal of panels

(YES - vinyl pool solar heating systems)

*accepted for a fee at
   HHW Events
Businesses must make an
appointment. Small panels
(garden light type) may be accepted at no charge.
Steel cans (see mixed recyclables)
Stumps, tree rounds greater than 12” diameter and 12” in length, Palm YES - for disposal only
Styrofoam (#6 meat trays & carry-out containers, packing peanuts, or blocks) YES - for disposal only For information on polystyrene recycling,
call (800) 828-2214
Tanning Bed     YES - fluorescent bulbs, ballasts and capacitors must be removed for acceptance *items removed also accepted at HHW Events
Tiles, floor (ceramic, porcelain, stone)   YES - accepted daily for recycling
Tiles, roofing 
 (concrete, asphalt,
  wood with tar paper)  
YES - for disposal only
Tiles, vinyl YES - for disposal only
Tin cans (see mixed recyclables)
Tire rims only    YES - (metal scrap)
Tires (auto, truck, or motorcycle) YES - with or without rims
         limit 9 without a permit

Tires (small)

(9 or less bicycle, wheel barrow, go-cart)  NO rims. Tubes and 10 or more tires subject to disposal fees.

 (4 or more at concrete rate)
Toner/ink (see Electronic Waste)
Transmission fluid,
Transmission oil
Trash compactors YES
Vehicles     NO    

See DMV Notice of Intent to Dispose

Vitamins    YES
*Liquid vitamins in large quantities, call the landfill prior to hauling
Washers YES
Water filtration unit YES - water must be drained
Water heaters YES
Water softener YES - softener units and salts accepted for disposal
Wood YES - lumber, pallets, crating, fencing, trim blocks, plywood, particleboard, decking and other clean wood products

*The Household Hazardous Waste Collection Program is open only to residents of Yolo County.
 Please see the
 Household Hazardous Waste Collection Program flyer for more details and applicable restrictions.

Disclaimer:  Information listed is subject to change.   For more details please call the Yolo County Central Landfill at
(530) 666-8729 and press "0" to speak with an attendant .