Did you know that motor vehicle crashes are the leading cause of death among children? (CDC)
What is CHATS?
CHATS stands for Children and Transportation Safety. CHATS’s goal is to reduce the number of injuries from motor vehicle crashes associated with children ages 0-12 years old, by increasing the correct use of car seats.
CHATS would like to remind you that it is against the law to leave a child under the age of 6 alone in the car unless supervised by someone 12 years of age or older.
Heat Stroke Prevention Tips
- Call 9-1-1 if you see a child unattended in a vehicle. A child's body temperature rises 5x faster than an adult's and heatstroke can occur quickly.
- Create a reminder that you have a child in the car. Set an alarm on your phone or place a stuffed animal in the front when there is a child in the car seat.
- Ask your daycare provider to call you if your child does not arrive at the usual time.
Car Seat Consultation
CHATS has four certified child passenger safety technicians who can help you with installing your car seat in your car. Appointments are conducted one-on-one at the Yolo County Health Department. This service is free of charge for residents of Yolo County.
What does a certified technician do?
- Show you how to properly install your car seat in your car
- Adjust the harness so that it fits your child snugly
- Discuss graduation, when your child can safely move to the next seat
- Check for recalls on your seat
- Give you the most current safety information
Please call 530-666-8561 to schedule an appointment.
Additional CHATS programs
- Low cost car seat program for Yolo County residents who quality for low income programs such as AFDC, CHDP, Medi-Cal or WIC.
- Violators Class for those who have received tickets in Yolo County for car seat misuse.
- Recycling Program for used and unsafe car seats.
To schedule a car seat consultation appoint or for more information about any of our programs, please contact
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Have a question not listed here? Send an email to Keri.