Yolo County Manager of Public Affairs
625 Court Street, Room 204
Woodland, CA 95695
Phone: (530) 666-8042
FAX: (530) 669-4029
Yolo County Nut Buying Period Starts August 1
(Woodland, CA) – Yolo County Agricultural Commissioner John Young announced today that the nut buying period will be held August 1, 2014 through April 1, 2015, in accordance with the county’s nut theft ordinance.
On May 13, 2014, the Yolo County Board of Supervisors adopted a nut theft ordinance to assist with the issue of nuts being stolen from orchards and sold illegally. The declaration of the nut buying period and related Proof of Ownership requirements, assists the department in enforcing the ordinance through compliance checks at places were nuts are sold.
During this period, persons in possession of unprocessed “nuts” (almond, walnut or pistachio) shall be required to show a Proof of Ownership. Under probable cause, the agricultural commissioner or any peace officer may inspect the commodity and request that proof of ownership be provided. Proof of Ownership shall contain the following information:
1. Name, address, telephone number and signature of the seller
2. Name, address, telephone number and signature of the buyer
3. The vehicle license plate number of the seller
4. The driver’s license number of the seller
5. The weight of the “nut” commodity purchased
6. The date and time of the transaction
7. The variety and condition of the “nut” commodity
8. Specific identification of the source of the commodity being sold. If the seller is the grower of the commodity, this shall mean the address at which the commodity was grown. If the seller is not the grower of the commodity, this shall mean the name, address and phone number of the person from whom that seller obtained the “nut” commodity, and if known, the address where the commodity was grown.
The Proof of Ownership shall be retained with the nut commodity to which it pertains while the commodity is in any person’s possession. Proof of Ownership forms may be obtained from the Yolo County Agriculture Department, located at 70 Cottonwood Street in Woodland, or at the Yolo County Farm Bureau, located at 69 W. Kentucky Avenue in Woodland.