Did you know that motor vehicle crashes are the leading cause of death among children? (CDC)
What is CHATS?
CHATS stands for Children and Transportation Safety. CHATS’s goal is to reduce the number of injuries from motor vehicle crashes associated with children ages 0-12 years old, by increasing the correct use of car seats.
- Booster seats should only be used when the child has outgrown the height/weight limits of their car seat with a harness.
- Booster seats must be used with a lap/shoulder belt.
- Never put the shoulder belt behind the back or under the arm.
Car Seat Consultation
CHATS has four certified child passenger safety technicians who can help you with installing your car seat in your car. Appointments are conducted one-on-one at the Yolo County Health Department. This service is free of charge for residents of Yolo County.
What does a certified technician do?
- Show you how to properly install your car seat in your car
- Adjust the harness so that it fits your child snugly
- Discuss graduation, when your child can safely move to the next seat
- Check for recalls on your seat
- Give you the most current safety information
Please call 530-666-8561 to schedule an appointment.
Additional CHATS programs
- Low cost car seat program for Yolo County residents who quality for low income programs such as AFDC, CHDP, Medi-Cal or WIC.
- Violators Class for those who have received tickets in Yolo County for car seat misuse.
- Recycling Program for used and unsafe car seats.
To schedule a car seat consultation appoint or for more information about any of our programs, please contact
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Have a question not listed here? Send an email to Keri.